The July meeting of the Session included several motions for approval and several items of information.
• Dr. Charlie Steele, Minister of Music, stated that everyone attending enjoyed the Land of Lakes Choirboys of Minnesota on June 25. Musicke Antiqua, an early music (Renaissance early Baroque) ensemble will present a benefit concert on July 29 with 90% of donations going to Sharing House and 10% to the Music Fund.
• Earth Care Committee’s proposal for B-DRPC to be certified as an Earth Care Congregation was approved by Session. The Clerk signed the Earth Care Pledge to be submitted to Environmental Ministries along with the completed application forms. B-DRPC is now one of nine churches in NC and only two others in WNC (First Presbyterian in Asheville and Montreat Presbyterian) to join this elite group.
• Lew Sayre, Chair of Property Ministry Team attended this Session meeting to discuss replacing the windows in the Manse and the Scout Hut which were approved by Session. Also discussed were the windows in the sanctuary which will be done at a later time after gathering input.
• The Décor Sub-Committee of Property has nearly completed refurbishment of the outer office area thanks to Marshall and Sam Feaster in memory of their mother and long-time church member, Ruth Feaster. Session approved an open house for this area with date TBA.
• Finance Ministry Team reported June income: $55,955, YTD $268,670; expenses: $47,647, YTD $277,970; net total $8,308, YTD $8,009.
• Outreach Ministry Team announced that the Black Mountain Home for Children will sponsor a Golf Tournament on Sept 17 and the annual Fall Festival is scheduled for Oct 11. Sharing House donations have been considerably less in late May and June.
Marty Spencer has completed a computer program for House Calls which will track supplies purchased, projects finished and those pending. Only team members (Luck Shepherd, Norm McCoy, Lin Davidson, Jim Phillips, and a new team leader, Nick Bearden) and Patty Anderson can access the computer data which allows privacy for clients served. Barbara Beal continues to monitor the phone messages and passes them along to the Team Leader next in line. Luck is working with Patty Anderson on a way to file for returning sales tax paid on materials as the church is non-profit and can file. As of now, the team leaders are paying for materials and are reimbursed when receipts are filed with Patty.
• Worship Ministry Team reminds everyone about the church fire drill that will take place Aug 10 following the 10:00 am worship service.
• The Kitchen Committee has completed updating and re-organizing procedures with new signs posted and instructions posted on the cork boards attached to the refrigerator/freezer. Ministry teams involved in kitchen activities were sent a memo describing the new guidelines.
• The Session commissioned John Stroup and Roger Shiley as representatives to attend the July 29 Presbytery Meeting at Warren Wilson Presbyterian Church.